Tuesday, May 5, 2015

KIANA MOSLEY














I can't get enough of the bright, vivid, bohemian watercolors of Hawaiian-born artist Kiana Mosley. She's been featured in Elle Decor, Anthology Magazine, The Jealous Curator and more. AND she's offered us a peak inside her head and her studio...read on to find out how she knew she wanted to be an artist, what other artists she's loving at the moment, what her upcoming plans are and more...


When did you know you wanted to be an artist? 

I always knew I was a creative, I was born of many... but I didn’t think I would ever work in the arts, as they were simultaneously encouraged and discouraged. Watching my family members struggle and face the darker side of artistry, The other positive and truly fulfilling sides were not apparent until much later in life... I had to go/grow through a lot to get there.


The unexpected art supply you can’t live without…

I really never imagined watercolor would end up being my staple - I was trained on traditional mediums, though I did explore multi-media and collage, sculpyure and impermanent forms (like tagging! gasp!) 

I really have to credit my Cousin Courtney O’dell (Sweet C’s Designs) for encouraging me to explore the medium more seriously.

That being said, keep me stocked up in Dr. PH Martins Hydrus and I’m in sheer Heaven... 

Dream dinner party... (4-5 guests, living or dead...)

Well! I think I’d bring a mix of living and deceased (That’s not at all strange in the art “Realm” right?) 
I think I’d just love to see how everybody engages and interacts - here’s my short list (and they can all have +1’s or 2’s 
-Bob Marley
-My Father
-Salvador Dali
-Jeff Bridges
-Gilda Radner
-Shel Silverstein
-Tina Fey
-Helen Frankenthaler
-Pieter Brughel

Oh the list goes on...

Favorite contemporary artist/s

Completely in love with mural artist Maya Hayuk, and the Photography of John Hook - the ceramic work  and paintings of Michelle Blade 

See I have a long list of art crushes... you’re on it too! (tee hee!)



How do you feed your head? (What inspires you?)

Music. Music. and even more music... and if I am able just going out walking somewhere random - or planned. but getting out of my own head is required to jump back in and just flow - I am a fine mix of type A, and type “whatever man” personalities... lol! blame it on being a Gemini, so it just depends on the day I suppose.

What's inspiring you at the moment? 

at the moment I am completely overly OBSESSED with big bold washy interpretive botanical work - blame that on my excitement in moving back home to Hawaii... I mean, I have always loved tropicals - but this is a giant and amazing life change for me. so it’s at the forefront

Fear in art, how do you fight it?
Can’t fight it. It is what it is - You just have to take a deep breath and leap at it.

My uniform... 

hahahaha

okay

ah, ok in heavy rotation: big breezy linen dresses, yoga and sweat pants.

But I clean up pretty good. :)

What you wish you had known when you were just starting out:

I am still learning. I never want to stop - And I think that my particular learning curve has followed the path it has needed to. I’ts been a wild ride! 

I do wish I had gone to school before having a family though... that was a really hard thing to do. possible yes, but it was Harrrrd. 

But I think I also kind of carved my path outside of the traditional school path, so - I don’t know, I just really believe things play out a certain way for a reason. I am still always grateful, and sometimes surprised, even when I thinks it’s “planned” maybe there’s a touch of kismet too... 

I’m rambling. But that makes for a really good, but complicated conversation!

On the nightstand... (What are you reading?)

I just started Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire,
and I just finished (again) Leaves of Grass.


What’s next? Project you are currently working on…
oh secrets!! well I can share that one of them may or may not have a bullseye involved. and the other is just such a dream collabo.


Beyond that, I have hesitated to really start new stuff for the sake of moving overseas... but when  I get settled look out! I really want to start working with much bigger pieces... I dabbled on canvas, but not truly with paper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment