Tuesday, May 19, 2015

MEGAN CARN









Ready for a dose of happy? Megan Carn and her fun, colorful, modern work are this week's behind-the-scenes feature. I just love her vivid use of color and bold strokes. Read on to find out how she got started, who she'd invite to her dream dinner party and what's up next...

When did you know you wanted to be an artist?
I have no idea. Honestly. I was an art major in college, but it started out as a way to be an art therapist later. Then, I wanted to be a print designer or fabric designer. I loved doing art, but I never thought I could turn it into a living, or a career. I didn't feel confident enough in my work to say 'I'm going to sell art after I graduate and be an artist!' After I graduated from college in 2013, I got a real job that really had nothing to do with art-it played on my love of people and event planning. After being in that job for a few weeks, I realized that I needed to be doing something creative. During the day, I was itching to paint. That was when I realized that I needed to be doing art. And being an artist. Because art is what made me happiest. (I left my job after a year and three months to be an artist full time!)

The unexpected art supply you can’t live without… 
HMMM. Honestly, I use my hands quite a bit. Like literally, put my fingers in the paint and paint with them. It adds texture and I feel like I have more control that way! Other than that, I use pretty basic supplies.

Dream dinner party... (4-5 guests, living or dead...)
Oh, man. This is a hard one. I love cooking, and if I had my way it would be all of my best friends that live in so many spread out places now-- we are never all together at the same time and that would be awesome. 

If I could have a second dinner party, it would be Audrey Hepburn, Kate Middleton and Prince William of Cambridge, the Queen of England, of course, Roxy Owens of Society Social (because she's the hostess with the mostess), Lilly Pulitzer (the queen of parties), and all of my personal art crushes from my blog + the people from the first dinner party. I like big parties. 

Favorite contemporary artist/s: 
I am the worst when it comes to favorites. I have so many! I love de Kooning, a huge list of Charleston artists (Lulie Wallace, Teil Duncan, Sally King Benedict), Britt Bass, Claire Dejardins, Emily Rickard-- so many. 

How do you feed your head? (What inspires you?)
Being outside on a beautiful day, looking through a great photography book, baking delicious goodies, scrolling through Instagram and Pinterest, shopping and looking through fashion books, surrounding myself with friends' artwork... the list goes on! I enjoy beautiful things, and those things always give me inspiration. 

What's inspiring you at the moment? 
I have a gorgeous painting by Susan Skelley in my living room and a wonderful painting by Susie Bettenhausen hanging in my bedroom, among other things-- both of those are challenging me to go outside of my usual lines and boundaries and to push myself a little further. Also, I have been itching to travel-- so I've been working on a wanderlust series. 


Fear in art, how do you fight it?
I have to calm myself down a lot. I get stressed because I'm swamped on commissions and behind on the originals I want to be doing, and what if people don't like my new originals and then I die?! (exaggerating about dying, of course.)

Then I think to myself, stop being ridiculous. I won't die. I'll eventually get all of the commissions done. Someone, somewhere will love my work. I'm an artist; I have an original way of doing things and an original point of view, and someone, somewhere will love it. And if they don't, I'll love it, and so nothing else really matters.

Also, I make lists. A lot of lists. They get me through. 

My uniform... 
Sounds ridiculous, but nike running shorts and an oversized tshirt. Works every time. and I don't mind getting paint ALL over it. 

On the nightstand... (What are you reading?)
Right now, not much. I am starting Amy Poehler's "yes, please!" this week, though! I love reading non-fiction, especially historic things. And of course, coffee table books galore. 

What’s next? Project you are currently working on…
Right now, I'm working on a travel series, some brightly colored nudes and abstracts, and per usual, the animals. (Oh, and a book! But more details are coming on that later!)



1 comment:

  1. These are just adorable art works!! I am in love with these painting. I am a big fan of Megan Carn. You know I have attended various exhibitions of her paintings. I am an art lover so I am now thinking to organize my company holiday party in art style. Isn’t that a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete